Introduction to Dashboards
Dashboards provide an intuitive way to visualize and control your smart home devices.
SharpTools dashboards are commonly used in either wall mounted displays (tablets) or on mobile devices like your phone or tablet. SharpTools dashboards display real-time status of smart devices in your home – enabling you to quickly see if your lights are on, doors are locked, garage doors are closed, and more!
In addition to interacting with your smart home devices, you can:
- Control 'location' features like Scenes, Modes, and Routines
- PIN protect important resources on your dashboard
- Integrate cameras and other media sources
- Display weather information, traffic, and more
- Link to other apps on your phone / tablet
- Display your calendars and news feeds
Create a Dashboard
To get started creating a dashboard, open the Dashboard tab within SharpTools.io and tap the green button.
Enter a dashboard name and optionally adjust the target device type that you plan on displaying the dashboard on before tapping Create.
You can also adjust the number of tiles that are displayed in each row later from the Dashboard Settings → 'Number of Columns Wide'.
Once you've created your dashboard, you'll be taken to the dashboard editor. You can tap the greenbutton in the middle of the screen to begin adding tiles to your dashboard.
At this point, you'll be presented with the Add Item screen. You can either use the search field at the top of the screen or tap each of the categories to expand them and see their content.
Tapping an item in any of the categories will add it to your dashboard. Once you're done adding items from the Add Item screen, either tap Done at the bottom or tap anywhere outside of the box to close it.
Once you've added some tiles to your dashboard, you can adjust their settings. While editing a dashboard, you can adjust a tile's settings by tapping the `...` in the top-right corner of a tile and then selecting Edit. The settings generally include:
- Label - customize the label shown at the top of the tile
- Dimensions - adjust the size of the tile
- Icon - adjust the icon shown on the tile
- Style - adjust the style of the tile (color / look)
- Security - apply security restrictions to the tile (learn more)
- Additional Options - adjust settings specific to the tile type
*Note that not all tiles will show all of the above options.
In addition to adjusting a tiles settings, you may also be able to change the layout (or 'template') that a tile is using. For example, most Thing tiles will have a Change Layout option in the tiles `...` menu.
In addition to customizing each individual tile, you may wish to adjust settings that apply to the dashboard as a whole. To access the Dashboard settings, tap the `...` in the bottom right corner of a dashboard and then select the Configuration icon. Dashboard settings include:
- Dashboard Name - the name shown in the dashboard list
- Sizing Approach - adjust between Scalable (default) and Reflowing
- Number of Columns - for scalable dashboards, adjust how many columns are in each row
- Tile Size - for reflowing dashboards, adjust the target size of a 1x1 tile
- Theme - adjust the overall look and feel of a dashboard (learn more)
- Security - apply dashboard wide security settings (learn more)
You can also toggle the Advanced switch in the top-right corner of dashboard settings on and access other settings like the 'Tile Space', 'Truncate Tile Labels' and 'Background Image'
Themes are an excellent way to adjust the look and feel of your dashboards! Be sure to check out the Introduction to Themes article for more details! Try the Themes → Official Themes option in your dashboard settings to quickly try some of our built-in themes!