How to connect Home Assistant to SharpTools
To connect your Home Assistant instance to SharpTools, you’ll need to install the SharpTools Add On in Home Assistant.
- Your Home Assistant installation must support the use of addons. In other words, you must be using either the Home Assistant OS or Home Assistant Supervised installation method.
- Must support Home Assistant Ingress (Home Assistant v0.91.3+)
This article includes detailed step-by-step instructions. For general Home Assistant connection information, please read the Introduction to Home Assistant Connection article.
- Open the Configuration menu item your Home Assistant interface
- Select Add-ons, Backups & Supervisor item in the configuration menu
- Select the Add-on Store button at the bottom-left corner
- Tap the
...in the top-right corner and select Repositories
In the Manage add-on repositories prompt, enter the following URL and tap ADD
After spinning for a few seconds, the repository should be added and if you scroll through the Add On Store lists, you should find a section for SharpTools (at the bottom on a normal Home Assistant installation).
After adding the repository, if you don’t see SharpTools in the list, tap the
...in the top-right corner of the page and select Reload then wait ~30 seconds to see if the option shows up.
Select SharpTools from the list
- From the add-on details screen, tap Install
Depending on the speed of your connection and the device running Home Assistant, this may take a few minutes. On a Raspberry Pi 3, this step took just over 5 minutes.
- Once the add-on is installed, tap Start to start the add-on
- Wait a few moments for the add-on to start up, then tap Open Web UI
Now that the Add-on is installed, we can open the Add-on’s web UI and authorize your devices.
- From the Add-on’s details screen within Supervisor, tap Open Web UI
- Select the Authorize link in the middle of the status card
You should see a SharpTools window pop-up. If you aren’t already logged into SharpTools, please do so.
- From the SharpTools pop-up, select the Create button next to the stubbed location
(If you already have an existing Home Assistant location, tap ‘Select’ next to your desired location)
- The pop-up window will close and you will be redirected back to the Add On where it will complete the initial connection
- Select the Entities you would like to authorize to SharpTools, then scroll down and tap Submit
- Once the synchronization is complete, open SharpTools.io in a new window.
Reauthorize or Manage Devices
If you’d like to change your device selections, you can tap the Manage option in the top-navigation of the Add-on and change your device selections. Make sure to scroll to the bottom and submit your changes when you’re done making selections.
From the Home tab of the add-on, you can tap the Authorize link at any time to proceed through the authorization process from the start again.